7th Feb 2019 CampaignDocument
Research into the extent and nature of financial abuse within intimate relationships in the UK.
My Money, My life – economic abuse
Refuge, in partnership with The Co-operative Bank, launched the powerful ‘My money, my life’ campaign to shine a spotlight on this often-overlooked form of domestic abuse and call for industry-wide agreement to support people who experience financial abuse in their relationships.
Key findings from this study include:
- One in five people in the UK have experienced financial abuse in an intimate relationship
- 60% of all cases are reported by women
- 78% of women saying their abuse went on over five years compared to 23% of men
- For women, financial abuse rarely happens in isolation – 86% experience other forms of abuse
- A third of financial abuse victims suffer in silence, telling no-one*
Other resources can be found on the Refuge website.
To read the full research please click on the ‘Download File’ button appearing below.
Download file here